Sunday, September 9, 2012

Yoga for Men: Lesson from Wanderlust

My wife Kelly loves yoga. Really loves it.  So a few weeks ago Kelly and I went to Wanderlust #wlbc.  Wanderlust is a four day music/yoga festival that culminates in a giant explosion of activity.  I like yoga but I have never really respected it as a "tough man" activity.  After Wanderlust and five classes in two days, I have changed my mind. Yoga is an excellent way to develop core strength, at least that is what my sore muscles tell me.  
My beginner downward dog, a work in process.

We have been practicing yoga a couple times a week since the festival and my flexibility has already improved! This is something that I, and men in general, often have difficulty with. My shoulder mobility has increased which has greatly improved my overhead squat. Plus I can finally touch my toes! That hasn't happened since high school! 

Try this pose:
For guys, doing downward dog is a great way to increase shoulder flexibility and  lengthen the hamstring.  The shoulder mobility will increase your ability to lift heavy overhead.  Increased hamstring length will allow you to go deeper into your squat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment